Thursday, May 7, 2009

Teachable Moment

Hi everyone -
Today at lunch the kids and I were observed either a Cooper's hawk or a Sharp-shinned hawk flying through our yard. Of course, I loved it and the kids got very excited too! This is a pretty rare event but it made way for a very teachable moment. I was able to tell them more about those kinds of hawks, what they eat, where they live, etc. The conversation led to talk about ants and how if black ants battled against red ants, the black ones would win. It was pretty amusing to say the least! I love how their little minds work. Well, after we were done discussing the ants, the hawk flew back into our yard and perched in one of our aspen trees. Quickly I tried to point out where it was in the tree but by the time kids started to look for it, it had flown off again. I think that they'll be telling their parents about this one tonight!

That's it today - enjoy the weather!

Kendall Stark
Monarch Kids Childcare Provider

1 comment: