Monday, October 26, 2009

Crafts

Hey there -
I'm pretty excited this afternoon. I've been doing some planning for the rest of the week and some crafts that we'll do together. Of course with this week being Halloween, there are plenty of crafts and art projects to do with kids. Even if you don't celebrate Halloween, many of the crafts revolve around the fall season, pumpkins and animals. As you know if you've read any of my other posts, I absolutely love animals and educating kids about them. So this time of year is great to dispel certain myths about spiders and bats especially! And doing crafts that are centered around them is a great way to have kids become more comfortable with them.

I'm pretty sure that I've mentioned this website before but if not, you should check it out. Its www.preschooleducation.com I get most of my arts and craft project ideas from there. This week I've picked out several projects. The one that we'll be doing tomorrow is super simple but so fun. One at a time, you paint a child's foot with white paint and then have them press it down hard onto black construction paper. Once it has dried completely you can add eyes to the "heel" part of the footprint. This is the ghosts head. And of course kids can be as creative as they like adding other features to the ghost as well.

The other craft that I'm excited about is called paper bag pumpkins. The kids crumple up newspaper and stuff a paper bag half full. Then they twist the uncrumpled part of the bag and tie it off - this is the stem of the pumpkin. To finish off the project, kids can paint the pumpkin orange and once its dry they use black marker to draw a face or decorate however.

All of this to say, I'm super excited for the week and all the fun things the kids and I will be doing together.

Have a great day - thanks for reading!

Kendall Stark
Monarch Kids Childcare Provider

No comments:

Post a Comment